So I have the proof copy of the Marquis of Ferrara! Here it is!
But what is this?! Some white space down one side?! Uh oh! I forgot to send them a PDF of the cover with Bleed on it. While the book is A5, the cover is not the size of two A5 sheets! We need some extra space around the page to cover the size of the spine, and a little extra wiggle room for when it’s trimmed. This is about 10mm of white space, so a 6mm Bleed on the sides and 3mm on the top and bottom should cover it.
I want to make some other changes to the cover too. It’s little darker than I want, and that’s probably due to my monitor settings being a little bright, I’ll just make it a little brighter to compensate. And I want to reduce the font size a little.
Gah… I had expected the printers to add ‘creep’ when they printed to add some extra space at the spine to accommodate the wasted paper when you bind it. That was a bad assumption on my part! I’ve added 3mm Bleed to the inside to compensate, so that now there shouldn’t be any lost text or bits of picture.
I’ve made a couple of other changes too; the biggest is deleting the decoration down the inside of each page. Thanks to the above problem, it doesn’t look good when printed and crammed in the spine of the book, and although the added Bleed will help, it’s still unnecessary clutter on the page. Simpler to ditch it!
I’ll talk with the printer about those changes and see what they think, and hope I can get it printed up soon!
Meanwhile, I’m also working on an interactive screen version of the PDF (clickable links!) and maybe an epub version, so we’ll see how that goes.